Go directly to: Content
NOTICE: You are using a browser without adequate or enabled CSS (style sheet) support.
This site will appear plain but remain fully useable. To see this site as it is intended, you need to
upgrade to a standards-compliant browser, such as the latest version of
Internet Explorer or
Personal Choice/Alabama Healthcare
Council (AHC) is Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Alabama’s primary care
network (PCN). This PCN is a managed care network committed to total quality
care for our customers.
Be sure to read:
Each enrollee and eligible dependents select a Primary
Care Physician (PCP) and all specialist care must be coordinated through
PCP referrals. Following are the responsibilities and expectations of the
- Accessibility, availability, accountability in initiating the evaluative
- Be the point of entry for the patient into the health care delivery system,
providing the initial patient assessment and managing all aspects of patient
care within the PCP scope of practice.
- Appropriate communication and follow up with referred to specialists.
- Act as the Health Care Resource Manager to ensure cost effective, medically
necessary, quality health care through:
- Preventive Benefits
- Special Preferred Medical Doctor (PMD) review
- Appropriate ER Referrals
- Provide for coverage, patient access and triage 24 hours a day, seven
days a week. The following practices are unacceptable:
- Answering machines or answering services that direct the patient
to the emergency room after-hours
- Making the patient decide whether the situation is a medical emergency
- Physician triage for acute/urgent conditions to prevent inappropriate
- Refer only to PMD providers. Requests for exceptions should be directed
to the Primary Care Nurse Coordinator.
- Utilize PCN profile data and Primary Care Nurse Coordinator feedback to
evaluate and maintain acceptable practice patterns for cost and utilization.
- Be available to meet with the PCN Nurse Coordinator when requested.
- PCP administrative staff must enter referrals into the Blue Cross and
Blue Shield of Alabama system in a timely manner, no later than 72 hours
from date of service. Retroactive referrals will only be allowed for PCP
or staff error.