Silver Health Insurance Plans 

Silver metal level plans pay, on average, 70%, and you pay 30%.The silver health insurance plan is one of four types of metal level plans as outlined by the Affordable Care Act. These metal level plans are based on the share of healthcare costs and are not related to the quality of care, provider network or the amount of care you receive from each health insurance plan.

Every health insurance plan, regardless of metal level, provides the same essential health benefits. On average, throughout the year, Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Alabama pays 70 percent of your covered healthcare benefits and you pay the remaining 30 percent. The out-of-pocket costs include your deductibles, copayments and coinsurance, but do not include your monthly premium.

Why choose a Silver health insurance plan?

Silver health plans typically have lower monthly premiums and could save you money if you do not expect to need a lot of healthcare services throughout the next year. However, silver health insurance plans have higher out-of-pocket costs than gold plans. Financial assistance in the form of a subsidy or tax credit may be available to you based on your income, age and location.

Blue Cross offers three silver health insurance plans. Compare these plans based on your personal health and financial situation to see which silver health plan is right for you:


All silver health insurance plans from Blue Cross include the 10 Essential Health Benefits, the largest provider network in the state and reliable coverage from the name you can trust.

To find a plan with more coverage, you may want to consider a gold health plan. Or, if you need a lower monthly premium, bronze health plans are also available from Blue Cross.