Frequently Asked Questions - Individuals
STLD: Short Term FAQs
Frequently Asked Questions
- What is Short Term Limited Duration (short term) Coverage?
- Who is eligible to enroll in a short term plan?
- How do I pay?
- How long will my short term coverage last?
- When will my short term coverage begin?
- I am currently on a short term plan. When can I re-apply for coverage?
- Are there any exclusions to short term plans?
- What happens if I move out of Alabama?
- Where can I find my Benefit Booklet after enrollment?
Our short term plans help bridge the gap in coverage when individuals and families experience a loss of coverage. You may be in-between jobs, a recent college graduate, or waiting for coverage to begin. No matter the reason, Blue Cross has the quality short term plan for you.
To be eligible for short term coverage, the contract holder must be:
- A resident of the state of Alabama
- Not enrolled in Medicare or Medicaid
- Meet certain medical underwriting requirements
- Not currently enrolled in a short term plan
You may pay your monthly premium by eCheck, check, credit or debit card (Discover®, MasterCard®, or Visa®) or over the phone. You may also choose to receive your statements electronically or in paper form.
To set up automatic payments you will need to complete and return this Automatic Payment Authorization Agreement
When you register for myBlueCross, you can make payments online and set up recurring payments. All you have to do is:
- Register for myBlueCross online at AlabamaBlue.com/Register.
- Click on the "Review and Pay My Bill" link under "Manage My Contract" to set up your account.
Plan coverage ends for you and your dependents based on the short term plan selected:
- Short Term Blue Limited is individual-only coverage for 6 months
- Short Term Blue is individual and family coverage for 364 days
You may choose when you would like coverage to begin, and you may request an effective date up to two months after the date the application is signed. However, your effective date may not be earlier than the date your application is approved by Blue Cross.
If you know your short term plan is ending, you can re-apply for coverage. However, once your current short term plan ends, you will have a one-day gap in coverage before your new effective date begins. Medical underwriting will also be required each time you enroll. Please keep in mind that the current amount paid under the prior contract will not carry over to the new contract.
Yes, there are exclusions to short term plans. For a list of exclusions, go to page 10 of the Short Term Plans brochure. You can also find out more detailed information by viewing the Benefit Booklet for Short Term Blue Limited or Short Term Blue.
Your contract will cancel; coverage is for Alabama residents only.
You can find your Benefit Booklet for your short term plan by registering or logging on to your myBlueCross account. To register, go to AlabamaBlue.com/Register. Once you log in, you will find your Benefit Booklet under the “Research and Tools” section. You may also request a printed copy of your Benefit Booklet by calling us at 1-855-249-3659.
STLD: Content Page Disclaimer
This coverage is not required to comply with certain federal market requirements for health insurance, principally those contained in the Affordable Care Act. Be sure to check your policy carefully to make sure you are aware of any exclusions or limitations regarding coverage of pre-existing conditions or health benefits (such as hospitalization, emergency services, maternity care, preventive care, prescription drugs, and mental health and substance use disorder services). Your policy might also have lifetime and/or annual dollar limits on health benefits. If this coverage expires or you lose eligibility for this coverage, you might have to wait until an open enrollment period to get other health insurance coverage.
To be enrolled in short term coverage, the contract holder must be a resident of the state of Alabama, not enrolled in Medicare or Medicaid, and not currently on a short term limited duration plan. For information about premiums, benefits, and limitations and exclusions for short term plans, please review the Benefit Booklet for Short Term Blue Limited and Short Term Blue.