Here are a few reasons over 2.8 million customers choose us:
We offer some of the most cost-effective health insurance premiums in the country and provide the broadest choice of doctors, hospitals and other healthcare providers. Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Alabama is proud latest reports show Alabama has the fourth lowest average annual single premium and the sixth lowest average annual family premium among employers nationwide. This is according to the Federal Government’s 2021 Medical Expenditure Panel Survey (MEPS) conducted by the Department of Health and Human Services.
- We are an industry leader in low administrative costs which allows more dollars to go toward patients' medical treatments. In 2022, over 92 percent of all revenue went toward treating patients.
- During the last 10 years, we have averaged a net income of less than two cents for each dollar received from our customers.
- Although we compete with 6 other companies that sell individual, family and group plans, and over 72 companies that sell Medicare plans, over 2 million members in Alabama still choose us. Outside of Alabama, we cover an additional 840,000 members.
- We are honored to be chosen by over 90 percent of Federal employees residing in Alabama, who are given a choice of 40 health and dental coverage options, administered by 15 different insurers.
- We are the only single-state Blue Cross and Blue Shield Plan to have won 24 Brand Excellence Awards from the Blue Cross and Blue Shield Association.
- We have won 10 J.D. Power and Associates Awards for Highest Member Satisfaction among Commercial Health Plans in the East South Central Region.
- Forbes Magazine has named Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Alabama one of the Best Employers in the Mid-Sized Market with 1,000 - 5,000 employees (2018, 2019, 2021, 2022 & 2023), and Forbes also named us One of America’s Best Employers for Diversity (2019 & 2020).