Here are a few reasons over 3 million customers choose us:
We offer some of the most cost-effective health insurance premiums in the country and provide the broadest choice of doctors, hospitals and other healthcare providers. Among the 50 states, Alabama has had the lowest or second lowest average family premium in the country since 2011. (Medical Expenditure Panel Survey)
- We are an industry leader in low administrative costs which allows more dollars to go toward patients' medical treatments. In 2015, over 92 percent of all revenue went toward treating patients.
- During the last 10 years, we have averaged a net income of less than a penny for each dollar received from our customers.
- Although we compete with 9 other companies that sell individual, family and group plans, and over 25 companies that sell Medicare plans, over 2.2 million customers in Alabama still choose us. Outside of Alabama, we cover an additional 870,000 customers.
- We are honored to be chosen by over 90 percent of Federal employees residing in Alabama, who are given a choice of 35 health and dental coverage options, administered by 14 different insurers.
- We are the only Blue Cross and Blue Shield Plan to have won 21 Brand Excellence Awards from the Blue Cross and Blue Shield Association.
- According to the J.D. Power and Associates 2016 Member Health Plan Study, Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Alabama ranks highest in member satisfaction among commercial health plans in the East South Central Region. Blue Cross also achieved the highest score in information and communication, provider choice, claims processing and cost. This marks the seventh year for Blue Cross to rank highest in member satisfaction in the region.