Here are a few reasons over 2.9 million customers choose us:
We offer some of the most cost-effective health insurance premiums in the country and provide the broadest choice of doctors, hospitals and other healthcare providers. In 2018, Alabama had the 8th lowest average family premium among employers in all 50 states (Medical Expenditure Panel Survey), conducted by the Department of Health and Human Services.
- We are an industry leader in low administrative costs which allows more dollars to go toward patients' medical treatments. In 2019, over 92 percent of all revenue went toward treating patients.
- During the last 10 years, we have averaged a net income of a penny for each dollar received from our customers.
- Although we compete with 6 other companies that sell individual, family and group plans, and over 67 companies that sell Medicare plans, over 2 million members in Alabama still choose us. Outside of Alabama, we cover an additional 830,000 members.
- We are honored to be chosen by over 90 percent of Federal employees residing in Alabama, who are given a choice of 43 health and dental coverage options, administered by 16 different insurers.
- We are the only single-state Blue Cross and Blue Shield Plan to have won 24 Brand Excellence Awards from the Blue Cross and Blue Shield Association.
- We have won 8 J.D. Power and Associates Awards for Highest Member Satisfaction among Commercial Health Plans in the East South Central Region.
- Forbes Magazine has named Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Alabama one of the Best Employers in the Mid-Sized Market with 1,000 - 5,000 employees (2018 & 2019), and for the second year in a row, Forbes named us One of America’s Best Employers for Diversity (2019 & 2020).