Need to make changes to your individual plan purchased on or off the Marketplace? Read our FAQs below to learn how.
Can I call Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Alabama to add dependents to my contract?
If you purchased your plan directly through us, you may call us to add any dependents to your contract. If you purchased your plan through the Marketplace, you may call us to add:
- Newly adopted dependents.
- Dependents placed for adoption.
Please note: The effective date of coverage will be the date of the event (for example, the date of birth, or the date of adoption). All other dependents must be added by contacting the Marketplace.
Will I get a new ID card?
You will receive a new ID card only if you are going from a single contract to a family contract. For example, if you and your spouse are on the same contract and you add a new dependent, you will not receive a new ID card. If you are on a single contract and add a dependent, you will receive a new ID card.
Will my premium be affected if I add a dependent?
After the application to add a dependent has been processed you will receive a new billing statement which reflects your new premium. Your new premium will be due upon receipt of the updated billing statement.
What other changes can Blue Cross make to a contract?
If you purchased your plan directly through us, you may call us to make any changes. If you purchased your plan through the Marketplace, you may call us to:
- Correct the spelling of a name (a new ID card will be sent if the subscriber's name has changed).
- Update your email address.
- Change your phone number.
- Make spelling corrections to the street or city name in your address.
- Change your address (only if the new address is in the same zip code and county as the previous address). If the new address is in a different zip code or county we cannot make the change; you must contact the Marketplace.
What if I applied through the Marketplace before 12/24/2013, but I have a 2/1/2014 effective date?
You must contact the Marketplace to determine if you are eligible for a 1/1/2014 effective date. The Marketplace will notify us if there is a change to your effective date.
How do I find my benefits?
You may review your Benefit Booklet and your Summary of Benefits and Coverage by logging in above. If you have not registered for a myBlueCross account, you may do so by visiting AlabamaBlue.com/register.