Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Alabama members have certain rights and responsibilities to ensure they get the most out of their healthcare plan. Below is a list of these rights and responsibilities.
As a Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Alabama member, you have the right to:
- Receive information about Blue Cross, its services, its practitioners and providers and member rights and responsibilities.
- Be treated with respect and recognition of your dignity and your right to privacy.
- Participate with practitioners in making decisions about your healthcare.
- A candid discussion of appropriate or medically necessary treatment options for your conditions, regardless of cost or benefit coverage.
- Voice complaints or appeals about Blue Cross, or the care it provides.
- Make recommendations regarding Blue Cross' member rights and responsibilities policy.
As a member of a health plan that Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Alabama administers or insures, you have the responsibility to:
- Supply information (to the extent possible) that Blue Cross needs for payment of your care and your practitioners and providers need in order to provide care.
- Follow plans and instructions for care that you have agreed to with your practitioners and verify through the benefit booklet provided to you the coverage or lack thereof under your health plan.
- Understand your health problems and participate in developing mutually agreed-upon treatment goals, to the degree possible.